Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Christmas, a day of worship or a day of indulgence?

Well, I was looking at some random stuff in facebook today.. U know, the usual, photos, comments and some playing the same old FB games.. Hehe.. And i've been stumbling upon something that many people would think of it as nothing.. But to me, I feel something was not right somewhere..

OK, let me start with the word Christmas.. OK, this word itself brings many interpretation to different people.. Some people will take it as another holiday, others a day for parties and relaxing and to some as the joyous celebration of the birth of our Lord and Saviour.. =)

And thus the topic on Christmas begins.. XD And yeah, I know Christmas has been over for a days, so why I'm posting this up now? I don't know.. Random? A sudden urge? A tuck in my tummy? Can't answer..

Now Christmas as Christians know it is the birth of Jesus Christ.. Of course this is not His real DOB, or so I am told.. According to my pastor, he said the Eastern Orthodox church states the real DOB of Jesus Christ is somewhere around 6-7th Jan, but again I'm not sure.. So we all know how he was born and how the stories go.. In a manger in Bethlehem.. My friend posted up a very good story, here's the link.. Go read it if u all have the time.. =) http://mysayfortoday.blogspot.com/2010/12/no83-merry-christmas.html

As I was saying, it is a joyous celebration.. Now, in the internet I bumped into pictures of people getting drunk, or posting up saying they are drunk, etc.. Now I was wondering to myself, it's Christmas.. OK, it's normal for us to have a relaxing time, taking it easy, attend parties.. I mean I do that myself, but after what I've been through I felt something was not right somewhere.. I mean at least I don't drunk myself crazy.. However, some people felt it was alright to do so.. Drowning themselves in the joy that this world has to offer, the bad side that is..

Now here I am thinking, is it right? Is this how we celebrate the joyous day in Christian's life? Mind u, these are the same people who go to church every week and worship the Lord (or so I think , I really hope they do).. I can't help but noticing that all this is wrong.. My pastor told me once that most of us are hypocrites, if not all of us.. True enough.. One day we go to church, sing praises to Lord, listen to the sermon, say Amen and be gone with our ways.. The other 6 days? We do things that is wrong, etc.. And I have even one person telling me, "Look, you can't even come to the party? To give face to people? What's so great about the church anyway?" Well, FYI I attended my church's dinner instead of a Christmas party.. I wasn't going to argue, no, I didn't even wanted.. These people have openly challenge God, so they'll face judgement from the Almighty..

In short, I'm not against all those parties or what.. But I was telling myself, even if we wanna to indulge ourselves in this 'joy', may we do it in modesty.. Don't go drunk on the eve and then can't wake up for Christmas service the next day.. To me, I live by this principle, if we can have all the time in the world to eat, sleep, game, party, why can't we have sometime with God? May we be reminded of the true reason for Christmas, not take it as another festival where we can lose ourselves.. God bless us all.. =)

No comments: