Friday, October 8, 2010

Where politics begin..

Well, I have lots to blog about but just no time to pen it down.. Well, today I've finally decided to do one of my blog entries that has been bugging me for quite some time.. It's something called politics..

Now before u all going to say "Oh gosh, here's M'sia politics again", let me clarify that this time it's about university politics.. Yes, the politics at my university.. I'm pretty sure most of the unis in Malaysia have their student council elections rite? And of course everyone wants to win, nobody likes to lose.. Well, here at my uni, I finally saw for real how dirty politics can get..

There were 2 teams having a go at each other.. One was my friend's team, their members carefully selected.. The other a team which was hastily formed to counter my friend's team.. So it was a typical Malaysian style politic for you, banners of "VOTE FOR ME" around the cafe (and other places), manifestos and of course the dirtier side of politics.. What I meant by dirtier side is not that both the team were killing each other or what.. To me, both of the groups were having rather clean politics.. It was more of the supporters who were having a go at each other..

The day of the election came and the opposite team won, with the president winning a landslide victory.. Post-election shows 2-3 reasons why my friend's team lost..
1) There were just too many people who didn't wanted my friend.. U know what happens when u dun want BN and just vote the opposition? Same case here, but at least from what I know the winning team are really down to business.. At least that's a positive sign. =)

2) Majority of the people who know/supported my friend never really went to vote.. Gave excuses like lazy, line to long, go class whole day.. Bunch of lame excuses if you ask me.. The voter turn out was below 40%.. And to me, if you want to vote, you'll vote no matter how cramp your schedule is.. Sadly, my generation don't really see the importance of it.. Don't have to go far, a simple evaluation of lecturers is sometimes very difficult to conduct due to that attitude..

3) The election, in my opinion, was conducted rather poorly.. There was not much information about the location and time of the election.. I only knew about it in the afternoon prior to the day of the election.. So much emphasis was placed on the candidates that the EC simply forgot about mentioning the date and venue like a few days earlier.. Furthermore, many students who were eligible to vote were either away or having hospital classes or in Alor Setar.. So there's your majority of your voters..

Now, this is the 3rd Student Council Election in my university and I'm rather surprised by the whole process.. Even until now, some people are still talking about it even thou it's been like 2 weeks since the election..

However, there's one thing that I saw that totally confirm my opinion that politics in the uni is just same as in the country.. A very degrading video was posted about my friend in Facebook.. So degrading that a police investigation was required.. Now, it's only a uni level election but do you see the connection? We've been train from young to back stab each other, to 'kill' off each other and thus this is what you get at the national elections.. A very sad scenario indeed.. Remember the phrase "Don't point a finger at anyone, cause 3 fingers will be pointed back at you"? To whoever who did that, you know who you are.. God know who you are.. And believe me, God don't take this things lightly.. Something will happen, maybe not now but something will.. I won't be surprise if one day somebody is hand-cuffed by the police in my uni..

So that's the end of one of my many ramblings I have installed for you people.. Many more but I have to pick them carefully, as some matters are still ongoing while some has been resolved and it's best that we forget about them.. CHEERS!! =D

No comments: